Ontario school boards are major service providers of Personal Support Worker (PSW) programs and follow all recognized provincial standards.
- PSW Virtual Meeting presentation slides (PDF) and meeting notes (PDF) – June 19, 2020
- PSW Virtual Meeting presentation slides – April 11, 2019
PSW Programs in Ontario
- Map of Ontario School Board PSW Programs 2019-2020 (PDF)
- Carte de programmes de formation des PSSP des conseils scolaires de l’Ontario 2019-2020 (PDF)
- PSW Program Overview 2020 (PDF)
- Fact Sheet: Accredited School Board Personal Support Worker (PSW) Certificate Programs in Ontario
- Fiche d’information : Programmes de certification des préposés aux services de soutien à la personne (PSSP) offerts par les conseils scolaires en Ontario
- Interactive map of Ontario School Board PSW Programs 2016-2017 (out of date)
PSW Committee Updates & Workshops
- May 2020 Update (PDF)
- PSW Q&A Online Workshop Video – Apr. 21 (YouTube)
- March 2020 Update (PDF)
PSW External Resource Links
- The brainXchange www.brainxchange.ca – Resources on brain-health, including dementia, mental health and neurological conditions related to aging or brain health changes earlier in life that are now more complex with aging.
- Simulation Canada www.sim-one.ca/courses/course/psw-simulation-ii – Online educational modules for faculty who train personal support workers (PSWs) to support seniors living in an at-home environment, including topics like safety, medication reminders, and assisting clients in and out of bed.
- Hollister www.hollister.ca/en-ca/ostomycare/ostomycareprofessionalresources/hollisterostomycareelearning – A series of online learning modules for ostomy care that provide certificates of completion.
- Pallium Canada-Palliative Care Certificate https://www.pallium.ca
- Public Health of Ontario-Chain of Transmission and about 7 more: https://www.publichealthontario.ca/en/education-and-events/online-learning
- University of Toronto-PSW approach to Quality Care Certificate: https://personalsupportworkerhq.com/uoft/
- Worksite Safety-Pandemic Awareness Training Certificate: https://worksitesafety.ca/product/training/online/coronavirus-covid-19/
- RNAO-Delirium/dementia training certificate https://elearning.rnao.ca/
- Durham-Falls Prevention Certificate
- NORCAT- Conflict Resolution and Communication Skills. $5 per student and must be done in a virtual classroom at a set time https://www.norcat.org/
- WeRPN: Workplace Harassment and Bullying Training certificate https://www.werpn.com/learn/practice-resources/workplace-violence-prevention-toolkit/
- Living Works.net: Mental health training (Their online certificate training does have a cost)
- Teepa Snow: Positive Approaches to Care (Dementia Resources) https://teepasnow.com/
- GPA-on-line through AGE (There is a cost for this, around $35/person) https://ageinc.ca/
- Kath Murray Life and Death Matters https://www.lifeanddeathmatters.ca/
- HPCO (Hospice Palliative Care Ontario) https://www.hpco.ca/
- Alberta Family wellness team: https://www.albertafamilywellness.org/training
- Updated Mapping Modules with VLOs
- 2014 Mapping Modules PSW Curriculum
- PSW Recognition and Advanced Standing Overview
- Collaborative Inquiry Project:
- Resource Paper on Mobility Module
Promoting PSW Programs
Video: Personal Support Worker Programs through Ontario School Boards
This video provides insight into a PSW career, the impact PSW professionals have within home and healthcare environments and how to find training programs throughout the province.